Why is a Tooth Extraction important?
An extraction is the removal of your tooth. Tooth extractions can be necessary to resolve a multitude of dental issues, such as:
Broken roots or teeth, Severe tooth decay, Gum Disease, Orthodontic issues, Impacted wisdom teeth
Advantages of Tooth Extraction
There are several advantages of getting a tooth extraction as soon as possible:
- Reduce health risks related to longstanding tooth decay.
- Eliminate repeated infections around impacted wisdom teeth.
- Avoid the onset of painful abscess formation.
- Help prevent current infection from entering the bone tissue.
- Improve appearance with extraction & orthodontic dental care.
Procedure for a Tooth Extraction
Local anesthesia is commonly administered if the tooth is easy to access. An elevator loosens the tooth, breaking the attaching fibers of tooth to bone. Forceps are applied to remove the tooth.
Your dental surgeon may refer you to an oral surgeon for extraction under general anesthetic or sedative injected intravenously. Occasionally bone tissue is also removed and stitches may be required.
How to prepare for your tooth extraction:
Rabile Family Dentistry conducts a detailed medical history and will prescribe any necessary medications.
X-rays of the tooth.
Prior to undergoing general anesthesia: do not eat or drink and secure a friend or family member to drive you home.
Post Op Instructions: Home Care Following the Tooth Extraction
- You will likely experience some swelling for the first 24 hours, the healing period can be 7-14 days.
- Minimal discomfort after the extraction is normal. An OTC pain reliever, such as Tylenol or Advil, works wonderfully. We can also give you a prescription for a stronger pain reliever, if needed. To avoid nausea, do not take pain medication on an empty stomach.
- You can also reduce swelling and pain by applying an ice pack – 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off – til no longer needed.
- You were likely were given an anesthetic to ensure your comfort. The anesthetic can leave your lips, tongue and teeth feeling numb. Simply, mimimize chewing for two hours following surgery, or until the numbness has completely worn off.
- A blood clot will form on the extraction site, and this clot is vital to the healing process. The goal is to avoid dry socket and keep the clot intact. Do avoid touching the extraction site with your tongue or fingers, no drinking liquids through a straw, and do not spit vigorously. Do not rinse your mouth the day of the surgery.
Do not smoke.
- A gentle rinse with a warm salt-water solution (dissolve one teaspoon of salt with one cup of warm water); gently swish the solution around the affected area, and spit carefully. Please do this 2-3 times each day for the week following the tooth extraction.
- If antibiotics were prescribed, continue to take them as indicated, even if all symptoms and signs of infection are gone. This is very important!
- After the numbness has worn off, you should eat, as nourishment is always important to the healing process. Soft foods like yogurt, soft soups, ice cream or eggs for the first 48 hours.
- Keep your head elevated with pillows to reduce bleeding. We will give you a supply of gauze sponges to place over the bleeding area. Change the pad as needed and use them until the bleeding completely stops. Be sure to call our office if bleeding persists or increases.
- Be sure to brush and floss the other areas of your mouth as you would normally.
- The space left by the tooth will feel a bit strange to you at first. Eventually, new bone and gum tissue will grow into the gap left by the extraction. Rabile Family Dentistry prides itself in gentle, affordable, professional and skilled dentistry for the whole family.
- First Appointment
What to expect During your first visit with Dr. Rabile, Learn More
Forms to download, Appointment Process, Cancellation Policy, Financial Policy, Health history & registration, Patient concent form, Facts about Insurance Companies, Dental Consent Form Click Here For Our Forms Page
- RFD Insurance
Take advantage of our NEW IN OFFICE program and receive your dental treatment at home-like comfort! We offer Netflix, Pandora, Coloring Books and have the friendliest staff! You pay the annual fee to enroll and start saving immediately! You will receive 25% off ALL dental treatment! Learn More
- Financing Options
Click Here to find out more information